Job Description – Database Engineer
This job requires extensive knowledge in writing complex SQL queries, stored procedures, views. SQL Developers design, develop, test, implement and maintain new and existing SQL code in the application. They will review requirements, suggest schema design, optimize SQL. They should review and guide the team members to ensure quality deliverables.
Following are the primary tasks of the Database Engineer:
- Develop and optimize views, stored procedures, SQL code, & ad-hoc queries
- Help write and optimize in-application T-SQL statements.
- Own/review DB task related deliverables for accuracy, quality, performance & reliability.
- Gather business requirements and convert it into SQL queries for DB specific projects
- Creation of implementation plans, design based on specifications
- Ensure performance, security, and availability of databases
- Prepare documentations and specifications
- Introduce initiatives to increase the productivity of the team by using tools, processes.
- Analyse data for issues, patterns, and suggest potential fixes
- Work on ETL and reporting tools such as SSRS, Pentaho, etc.,
- Ability to analyse explain plans, slow query logs, deadlock logs, and suggest options to improve the system
- Minimum 5+ years in T-SQL.
- Strong in SQL Coding, data analysis, performance tuning, schema design.
- Experienced at optimizing large complicated SQL statements using explain plans
- Understanding application workflow of data
- Experience working with different teams (Application, QA, DB, etc.,) smoothly and effectively
- Being detail oriented and having analytical thinking abilities is a must.
- Experience with MySQL, Toad, and SVN is highly desirable
- Experience with ETL and reporting tools is desirable
- Experience working with Performance Monitoring tools is desirable
- Knowledge in insurance domain is a plus.
- Prior onsite experience with US, European clients is a plus.
- Being proactive & self-motivated.
- Being a good communicator, both written and spoken.
- Communicating key project data to team members and building cohesion among teams.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced and high-pressure environment